Minecraft update 1.17 is now available to download on PS4, PC, and Xbox One. According to the official Minecraft patch notes, the latest update added Amethyst Geodes various tweaks and fixes to the game. Apart from this, Minecraft update 1.17 also includes a long list of bug fixes.
Read more details below.
Minecraft 1.17 Patch Notes
Amethysts and Geodes
- Amethyst Geodes have been added to the game!
- These huge geodes can be found anywhere underground in the Overworld
- Amethyst geodes have an outer layer of a new block called Smooth Basalt
- Amethyst geodes have a second layer of another new block called Calcite
- Amethyst geodes have an inner layer of various Amethyst blocks
- Calcite, Tuff, and Smooth Basalt have been added to the game!
- Just smelt basalt to obtain smooth basalt!
- Amethyst Clusters have been added to the game!
- Amethyst Clusters grow from Budding Amethyst, which can be found inside geodes
- Clusters have four growth stages: Small Amethyst Bud, Medium Amethyst Bud, Large Amethyst Bud, and Amethyst Cluster
- Clusters can only grow when they are placed on Budding Amethyst blocks
- Fully-grown Amethyst Clusters drop four Amethyst Shards (or more with Fortune) when an Iron Pickaxe or higher is used, and otherwise drop nothing when broken
- Clusters can be Silk Touched at any stage
- Budding Amethyst has been added to the game!
- On any side of a Budding Amethyst block where there is air or a water source block, a Small Amethyst Bud will eventually grow
- Amethyst Buds can only grow when attached to Budding Amethyst, and will grow until they become Amethyst
- Clusters Amethyst Blocks have been added to the game!
- Amethyst comes in block form inside the geodes in two ways: Block of Amethyst and Budding Amethyst
- All types of Amethyst blocks (clusters included) create beautiful sounds when you walk on them, break them, place them, or hit them with a projectile – go make some music!
- Tinted Glass has been added to the game!
- Tinted Glass is a type of glass that does not allow light to pass through
- Tinted Glass is crafted by putting a Glass block in the middle of four Amethyst Shards
- Tinted Glass can be obtained without Silk Touch; it does not shatter like normal glass
- Amethyst Shards have been added to the game!
- Amethyst Clusters drop four Amethyst Shards (or more with Fortune)
Axolotl & Glow Squid
- Axolotls are now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experiment
- Axolotls can be rehydrated with Splash Water Bottle and Lingering Water Bottle
- Axolotls now have their missing sounds.
- Axolotls now swim way more often.
- Updated the axolotl and glow squid spawn rules. They can now spawn in any biome and up to y=63 instead of y=30
- Cobblestone and Cobbled Deepslate are now used to repair stone items on an Anvil.
- Powder Snow is now available in the Creative inventory
- Using a Bucket of Powder Snow on a Cauldron filled with Powder Snow results in a Powder Snow block being placed above the Cauldron
- Cauldrons fill up in snowy weather, creating a renewable source of Powder Snow.
- Most mobs cannot walk on Powder Snow, but fall into the block instead
- Mobs inside a block of Powder Snow start to freeze and eventually take damage
- Players can protect themselves from Powder Snow by equipping leather armor
- Buckets can be used to scoop up and place Powder Snow
- Fall damage is now correctly prevented when a player or mob falls on a single powder snow block
Glow Lichen is now visibly as close to the surface it is placed on as Java Edition.
Glow Lichen now has a map color that more closely resembles the color of the block.
- Colors applied to text on signs are no longer barely visible.
Amethysts, Amethyst Shards, Amethyst Cluster Variants, Amethyst Buds, Budding Amethysts, Tuff Blocks, Calcite, and Smooth Basalt are now available in the Creative inventory
- Spyglass is now available in the Creative inventory
- Deepslate is now available in the Creative inventory
- Azalea Leaves and Flowered Azalea Leaves have correct color on maps
- Small dripleaf can now be placed on moss
- Lush Cave blocks are now available in the Creative inventory
- Dripstone is now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Pointed dripstone is now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Water drips from stalactites
- Glow Squid are now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Glow Item Frames are now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Glow Ink is now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Maps now glow in Glow Item Frames.
- Goats no longer drop Mutton when killed
- Goats are now available outside the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Waxed Oxidized Cut Copper Slabs can now be merged into full Waxed Oxidized Cut Copper blocks
- Copper is now available in the Creative inventory
- Lightning Rod is now available in the Creative inventory
- Using Bone Meal on a sapling planted on a Moss block now correctly grows a tree.
- Pointed Dripstone now correctly gets destroyed after the block it was placed on are broken by block updates
- Fortune enchantment now cause more raw iron/gold/copper ore to be dropped
- Raw copper, iron and gold ore are now available outside the experimental toggle
- The “Caves and Cliffs” toggle is now correctly localized
General Tweaks and Bug Fixes
- Players can once again host multiplayer games and send invites over mobile/cellular data.
- Chemistry items icons no longer disappear after suspend/resume in Education Edition worlds
- Fixed issue with underwater fog being the same for all Biomes and view distance not increasing over time.
- Underwater view distance is increased in Rivers and land biomes to be more like Minecraft Java when “Caves and Cliffs” experiment toggle is enabled.
- Boats now break when they collide with a Cactus from the side.
- Changed the position of bow to match previous versions.
- Crossbows in players’ and mobs’ hands are now rendered correctly in all perspective modes.
- Fixed animation issue causing an off-hand held shield to appear to re-equip whenever the player changes their main-hand item.
- Cauldrons that have been emptied after containing potion are now correctly filled with water when it rains
- Fixed issue where Fireworks of all colors could be crafted from any other color of Firework Charges.
- Blazes and Enderman once again receive damage from splash water bottles.
- Fixed a bug where mobs would not spawn below y=0 when the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle is enabled.
- Updated the appearance of the loading screen
- Android should once again see invite notifications and achievement toasts!.
- Fixed an issue with certain blocks which could cause them to grow too quickly when ticked
- Mobs and entities once again make a sound when entering water
- The ‘/setworldspawn’ command is now prohibited in legacy worlds and affected worlds will reset their altered spawn positions to the original position.
Download free Minecraft update 2.24 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.